I frequently get asked about the foods that are at the top of my grocery list every week as well as the easiest and most convenient ways to maintain a healthy diet and a busy lifestyle. I have found that the best way to stay on track with healthy-eating and cooking is to always have “staple” foods on hand in which you can make meals with week-after-week. Another bonus: these staples can all be “mixed & matched” to avoid boredom and keep things exciting! These are the items that always end up in my grocery cart and continue to make an appearance in the majority of my favorite meals and recipes each and every week:
1. Sweet potatoes: Roasted sweet potatoes tend to be one of my favorite weeknight meal components as they are quick to prepare and extremely versatile. My favorite way to prepare them is to make “fries” by thinly slicing, tossing with olive oil + paprika, and roasting at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. So. good.
2. Fage Plain Greek Yogurt: In my opinion, this is the BEST Greek yogurt out there as even the nonfat varieties have a thick and creamy texture. I use the plain Fage in pretty much everything: mixing with granola, adding to smoothies, thickening sauces, or just eating by itself!
3. Trader Joe’s Roasted Garlic Hummus: By far my favorite hummus. When they are out of this at TJ’s my afternoon snacks suffer because I eat this every single day! It has a great flavor without being to “garlic-y” and is perfect for pairing with veggies, whole-grain crackers, or as a spread on sandwiches.
4. Brussel Sprouts: aka “brussels.” These have a bad rep with some people but once you have tried them sliced, tossed in EVOO, garlic, and roasted…you will never be the same. One of my favorite meals during the week is roasted sweet potatoes + roasted brussel sprouts + goat cheese. Simple and delicious!
5. Trader Joe’s Chile Lime Chicken Burgers: I do not eat a lot of meat. However, I often whip one of these up with some sauteed veggies for a quick, weeknight meal. They have a wonderful flavor and have only 150 calories per burger, making these an awesome swap for traditional ground-beef burgers.
6. Skippy Natural PB: As you can see this jar is mostly demolished. Sorry about it. I really love peanut butter. On pretty much everything. Also you can’t really tell from this picture but this jar is actually massive… perfect.
7. KIND Bars: I am very picky about my granola/snack/protein bars and these make the cut with their low sugar content and reasonable nutritional profile. My favorite flavors? Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew and Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt. These are perfect for when I am craving something sweet in the middle of the day without making me go into a sugar coma!
8. Brown Rice: I personally love the Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice as it is the perfectly virtuous convenience food and can be put in such a wide variety of healthy dishes. One of my favorite combos is brown rice + sauteed zucchini + black beans + goat cheese or feta. Perfect for the nights when you want something healthy and quick for dinner but don’t really feel like cooking 🙂
9. Garbanzo Beans: As one of my favorite sources of protein, I love adding garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) to salads, rice dishes, pasta, and even baked goods (chickpea cookies, anyone? They are actually incredible).
10. Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Rolled Oats: I absolutely love the texture of these and go through a big bag of them every 2-3 weeks. Oatmeal is an absolute staple in my everyday diet and I don’t think I have gone more than a few days without my favorite breakfast of oats + almond milk + dried fruit + sliced almonds. The best way to start my morning!
It’s Friday and I could not be more excited! I am heading to Greenville this weekend to celebrate the wedding of my sweet friends, Hannah & Barrett! Wedding season is officially in full swing. Happy happy weekend everyone!