You know the person who always brings the healthy stuff to the hangouts?
Well, I’m “that girl.”
When I first walk in with my healthy experiments, I always get some weird looks because everyone is totally thinking… “of course you made that.” Honestly though, people always appreciate the colorful, grease-free, whole wheat-y, and healthified concoctions after everyone takes a bite!
I brought this fresh and healthy pasta salad to a cookout this past weekend and it was a perfectly refreshing addition to the summery spread. I also whipped up a quick lemon & garlic vinaigrette for this salad which turned out beautifully and would also make a great salad dressing or marinade!
The combo of fresh green beans + red pepper + chickpeas + parm in the whole-wheat pasta is incredibly delish. I secretly stashed some of this away for my lunch this week before bringing it to the cookout. shhhhh….!
Summer Veggie Pasta Salad
1 box whole-wheat penne pasta
1 cup red pepper, diced
1 lb fresh green beans, cut in half
1 can chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Steam the green beans by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil and steaming for 3-4 minutes (be careful not to overcook them! You want them to still be slightly crisp.)
3. In a small bowl, make the vinaigrette by combining the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, 1emon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, red pepper, green beans, chickpeas, and vinaigrette.
5. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve!