It’s been a while since I’ve baked…well anything. After a long oven hiatus this summer, I was ready to get back in action with these healthy and tasty Whole Wheat Trail Mix Muffins. These muffins were inspired by…umm, a bag of trail mix? My mind is pretty uncomplicated sometimes, okay? And I quote:
“Gosh, this trail mix is awesome. You know what this would be good in? Muffins.” End quote. Really. Sweet.
These would make a perfect wholesome breakfast paired with some yogurt or fruit as well as an energizing afternoon snack. They contain no butter or oil thanks to the miracle of applesauce in baking and are packed with oats and whole grains (oh and chocolate chips duh). I also love the added crunch from the sunflower seeds and sliced almonds. Basically these are nutritional superstars of muffins with chocolate. KILL ‘EM.
Whole Wheat Trail Mix Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup milk (you can also use almond or soy milk)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and oats.
3. Add the milk, egg, applesauce and vanilla and mix well.
3. Gently combine the cranberries, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
4. Divide batter among muffin tins and bake for ~15 minutes or until tops are lightly brown.
HAPPY HAPPY FRIDAY!